Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ok since the family has been gone not a whole lot has happened around here. Lot’s of work, with a few slices of fun. There have been a lot of people out of town at work so I got a full schedule this week. Had a few interesting experiences there. He is just to list a few...

Power out - I don’t know what has been going on, but there have been a few unexpected power outages at work that have done some pretty messed up things to the security system and computers. The check reader won’t work, the card reader is on the ritz and the security company keeps calling to make sure everyone is alright. For not working there very long I sure have had a lot of security calls. 

Shipment - I am wondering if there are a few weird things going on at a corporate level. No one has received shipment this week. Not a single Payless in the west region got any shipment. The store is starting to look pretty bare and people are getting a little upset when we don’t have what we advertise. Wish there was something I could do about it. 

Sis Christensen - This kind lady came into work and needed a particular shoe. We didn’t have it so I offered to call another store and have them hold it for her. While in the process of waiting for the phone not to be busy we got to talking. I forget how small the Mormon world really is. Turns out her husband was the CES representative that spoke at my convocation at graduation. Then we got to talking about our interests and what I liked to do in my free time. I finally got the other store to pick up and place her shoes on hold. Then out of no where she asked if I would be willing to go on a date with her son. She got my phone number and walked out. not your everyday circumstance. 

Brent - After hearing and watching the whole thing happen with Sis Christensen, Brent (my boss) got on the phone and called his buddy from college and asked if he would be willing to go out with me on a double. It was just a message, but still, since when was I the hot topic for dates? Something weird is going on. Now this is the one to top it off!

Dave - There was a guy who came into work and wandered around for a good 20 minutes. Then he finally walked up to me and asked if he could talk to my in the corner. I walked over to the secluded corner with him and that is where he asked me out. I told him I was free Saturday night, but nothing was solidified. He left with my number and a few tentative ideas and plans. I went about my week as usual and then Saturday rolled around. I still hadn’t heard from him, however I had a few friends coming in from Idaho that needed a place to stay so I offered my house for the girls and was planning on meeting them downtown (more of that to follow). I didn’t have a way to get a hold of Dave to let him know I wasn’t going to be able to do anything because I needed to go meet my friends downtown, so I left a apologetic note with my number. I soon got a phone call. I was expecting a kind and understanding response, but what I got was a very angry man who used a few choice words and hung up... not the type of guy I would want to go out with anyway right? Ug, boys can be pretty difficult and dense sometimes!

Audrey’s friends passed the test. They called and invited me to do something with them even when Audrey wasn’t around. I guess that goes to show that we are friends too! ;) We went to Denny’s, saw the midnight showing of Transformers (which was extremely disappointing and I wouldn’t suggest it to anyone), and enjoyed the blessing of having a swimming pool now that the weather has cleared up a bit. 

I also got to hang out with Papa a little this week. What a sweet man he is. I continued my bike escapade and rode to the library to drop off a few books then headed to Papa’s. I went to get him ready and we enjoyed along walk talking about Rob and Wendy’s new baby. It is nice to spend some one on one time with him every now and then. He is such a great man and I have no doubt that he loves his family more than anything in the whole world. he can never stop talking about them. 

I offered to babysit Lily and Kylie to give me something to do. Katie and david were out looking at houses. I took the girls swimming and watched Snow White. It was Lily’s first time and she was completely mesmerized. Disney sure has a nack for keeping the attention of the little ones. 

That night I invited a girl from work over to stay the night with me. I was getting lonely and wanted a little company. we made a full dinner and then enjoyed the most recent episode of So You Think You Can Dance. It is getting pretty intense. I can’t wait until it narrows down to the top ten. 

I have such great neighbors! The scott’s across the street felt bad that I have been left alone all week, so they took me out to a nice dinner. we enjoyed some smooth jazz music with some tasty italian dinner. I will go back there any time, the problem is I can’t remember what it is called. All I know is that I loved the food and loved the atmosphere.

After dinner I picked up Mike, Cherry, and Maria and we headed out to the U for a night of dancing. I am starting to feel more comfortable around these kids and so can finally loosen up and enjoy the dancing instead of worrying so much about what my feet are doing. Mike and I had a lot of fun just experimenting with moves we weren’t quite sure how to do. 

We finally found success doing a regular dip. It takes a lot to get in and out of those things smoothly. But we did it. I just hope we can remember how next week. We went to Dee’s again this week and I shared a milkshake with Jake... something just might be in the mix. Probably not, but it is fun to wish! 

Doug was in town and I was so excited to see him. He was a bass in Vocal Union this past semester. we had so much fun on tour and he called to inform me that he was in town so we decided to meet up and do something. We were planning on maybe driving to Provo to do something with his buddy, but it was too late for that so we just stayed near my house and had our own fun. He took me to dinner and then to pass time we played arcade games at the movie theater before our movie started. The time passed far too quickly. We went to see UP which was such a cute movie. Sad, but cute. Not your typical pixar movie, but still very enjoyable. I loved it!

I met Doug and his friend Steve downtown after the whole dating mishap with Dave. We decided we would take our time to go to the Salt Lake Temple. It was just what I needed at the time. I forget how beautiful it is in there and how much I love to think that simple dreams and hands built that building. 40 years in the making and I am hoping they think it is worth it, because to me it means the World. 

After a great session at the temple we decided ice cream for Leatherby’s would be the perfect way to end the evening. I ordered a small scoop of burnt almond fudge ice cream and a few small cookies. It was amazing! I gobbled it up so fast!

We even took a little time to play the arcade games while waiting for Valerie to show up. I played a sweet game of Pinball for old times sake. I guess talent does go away when you don’t practice. Not the pinball wizard I used to be. Val got there and we went home to have the ultimate sleep over.

It was so nice to have Valerie stay for the evening. We caught up, talked, laughed, and just enjoyed being together again. I was very sad when I had to say goodbye on Sunday. Doug came to pick her up and they headed out to Emily Olsen’s farewell and I headed off to Elder Taylor’s homecoming. He did such a fantastic job. I enjoyed every minute of his talk. He took a lot from President Hinckley and his remarks about what you should bring home from a mission. He did a great job of keeping it doctrinally based rather than just spilling a bunch of stories from the mission. Such a good kid. 

I spent most of the evening at David and Katies. It is nice to have family so close. When everyone at home is gone it is a nice lugury to be able to just drive 30 minutes and still feel like I have a family. We had dinner and watched Night at the Museum. It was my first time seeing it, and I loved every minute of it. So clever and fun. I decided since I was already out there so late I would just stay the night. Little couch, here I come!!

No comments: