Sunday, February 1, 2009

I had a good first FHE for the semester. We played all those silly "get to know you" games and then ate a really good chocolate cake that Seth made. I have a feeling that this group will be a lot more fun than last semester. At least they know we exist this time. I'll take pictures of our next activity so you can see who is all in my group. 
Devotional was fantastic this week. I got to sing again, but this time it was for a general authority. Elder D. Todd Christopherson spoke this week on our baptismal covenant to "always remember Him" and what that exactly means. You should listen to it on our school's website if you get a chance. The best part of the whole thing was about ten minutes before it started. All the students were seated in the Hart Auditorium ready for devotional. There was a lot of talking going on, but as soon as Elder Christopherson walked in it went dead silent and no one talked until President Clarke started the meeting. I love that! Where else does someone get such respect? This church and the people in it sure do know how to respect the leaders of the living gospel. I mean, President Obama would never get complete silence, or any president of the country for that matter. 
It is unbelievable cold here now. I can't believe how fast the temperature dropped around here. I wanted to go to the gym to work out, but forgot my i-card for clothes rentals so since i had my water bottle, i-pod, and coat I decided to take a jog outside. My new coat was so warm I hardly noticed how cold it was. I ran up to the temple and then back down to the snow building and around campus. It was a good time to clear my head and enjoy the beauty of Rexburg. Right as I was finishing up it started to snow. They were the biggest most beautiful snowflakes I have ever seen. I just stood outside my car and watched it all fall. I love the snow, and I love rexburg... it will be sad to leave it, but I think I have done my time here. 
The temple was wonderful this week. I had a chance to read through the lessons for this week's sunday school and relief society. Wow, what an inspiring thing. It was exactly what i needed. I love the fact that we are all entitled to our own revelation and can use the gift of the Holy Ghost to help us make correct choices. There was a small funny thing that happened while at the temple this week... all the workers had started to play match-maker while I was home sick last week. I got to temple this week and they all sat me down and asked if I was "attached" to someone. I smiled and told them about Clint. They all looked around in disappointment. I guess I blew all their plans, but hey, I like Clint so there is no guilt here. ;)
My roommate Bekki got her mission call this week after a long long wait. We were all in class until ten so she had her family wait a few minutes while we all got picked up. We all gathered around and waited anxiously as she opened the envelope. She began to read... Helsinki, Finland! As she continued to read I got a little teared up. I forgot all the wonderful things that a call letter says. She read through the whole thing and I just wanted to jump on a plane and head out to my mission and do it all over again. I miss being a missionary and getting to serve people 24/7. It is one of the greatest feelings knowing that you are helping the Lord accomplish his work. Hopefully some day I will get to go again. I wish her the best! I know she will be a fantastic missionary and that she will be a wonderful instrument in the Lord's hands.
We had our opening social for Vocal Union this weekend. It was so much fun... well for the time I was there. I got to know a few of the new people pretty good. This group is going to get a long just fine. All the girls already are best friends and the boys are just as sweet as can be. We had social time and then Sis Brower arrived with the food. We had it catered by Winger's. It was amazingly delicious. I enjoyed every bite. Sadly I couldn't stay the whole time. I had to leave so I could drive home for the weekend.
 I said all my goodbyes, gave my hugs and left to pick up Craig for the drive home. It wasn't all that bad this time around. Usually driving in the dark makes the trip seem really long. But seeing as we had no form of entertainment because my car has no CD player, or I-pod hook up we were left to entertaining ourselves. We talked about weird dreams we had, told jokes, and just laughed a lot. You know the mission was the best place to get life time friends. I'm glad Craig was able to drive home with me. It is always better making the trip with someone else. When I got home I went inside, said hello to Mom and Dad and went right to bed. 
Saturday was quite the adventure. I am going to leave out everything the has to do with my birthday because my birthday will get an entry all on its own. So much happened that I can't try to fit it into the rest of the week. I woke up, and got all ready for Mary Brissette's (My 2nd and last companion in the mission) wedding. I was supposed to drive out to Bountiful to the 
temple. On my way out I noticed traffic slowing down significantly. I soon came to a complete stop. I thought it was just usual traffic for the middle of the day, but I noticed we weren't moving... at all. I sat for a good 20 minutes before calling my dad. I finally turned off my engine and called Potts. He informed me that there had been a 5 car, 2 truck pile up. I wasn't going anywhere. Everyone was supposed to get off the freeway at 90th south... I had just passed that exit. I was stuck until the accident was all cleaned up. 2 hours later the cars started to move. By this time the wedding ceremony was over and I wouldn't even get there in time to congratulate her, so I turned around and came home. 
Luckily that evening I was able to make it to her reception. She looked beautiful and happy. What a sweet girl! And to think we didn't get along the first time around. I am so glad I was able to get another chance to mend that friendship. I am so happy for her and wish her the best. 
Sunday morning was a little out of the ordinary. Mom and I were getting ready and all of a sudden the power went out! Mom was left to finish her hair with her emergency butane curling iron, and I just pulled my hair up... this is one of those times when naturally curly hair comes in handy ;) I was on the phone with Clint all morning telling him about Saturday's adventures. Soon we started getting a few calls from the people in the ward wondering if we would still be having church. I guess it was out all over. Dad called from the church and asked us to bring a few flash lights. Church was still going to happen... in the dark! It was kinda cool to walk into the chapel filled with lantern light. I was really excited to have testimony meeting in the dark. It would be a fun experience to remember. Sadly as soon as Brother Heaton got up to start the meeting the lights came one and we had a regular day at church. The rest of the day has to do with my Birthday, so that will all have to wait for its own entry! 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

What a week! I loved having you home. It's hard on me to have a weekend filled with fun and family -- then on Monday to have it totally quiet again. Just me and the dog. sigh. Can't wait until next weekend. Bet you are pretty excited too!