Sunday, January 18, 2009


This week at the temple was amazing. Each day I go to the temple I find myself having the best day ever! Wednesday I was there for my usual volunteering, when this sweet girl came in. She was about Jenni's height and probably 270 pounds. we had a hard time finding a suit to fit her. I am not telling you this because of her size, but it adds to the rest of the sweet story. She did one round of baptisms (which consists of 25 names) and then asked if she could go around again seeing as there were only a few other girls waiting. We re-suited her and sent her through. I was getting ready to change positions when she came through and told met hat her mom was upstairs doing a session and that she had an hour before her mom finished. She shyly asked again if she could go through again. Eventually by the end of the morning she had done 100 names! I began to wonder why she wasn't in school. Her mom came down a little confused why her daughter wasn't in the chapel. I told her she was just finishing up. We asked her how old her daughter was. Turns out she was 12 and was coming to the temple for one of her first trips. She was home schooled because of the way the kids treated her at school. Her size got in the way of her learning. I was amazed at what the kids had said to her. I was so impressed with her tender spirit and her attitude to serve. I decided right then that I was never going to judge anyone by their looks ever again. We are all special spirit children of our heavenly father no matter our size or looks. She was probably one of the most sweet people I have ever met, and she knew without a doubt that what she was doing at the temple was what she needed to do. I was so moved by her example of true, intentional service. I hope she comes back again next week. I would love to be around her everyday if I could, just to bring my spirits up to where hers are. 
I had a little extra time to play this week. I spent most of my time with all my married friends, the only problem I am always the 3rd, 5th, or 7th wheel... Not something I regret, but during some conversations I most definitely don't really fit in. We however had a lot of fun drinking Hot Cocoa, watching movies, and just doing a lot of talking. On Saturday night Jacqui and Andy invited me to go to the International Film meeting where we watched a movie called
 "Children of Heaven" it was an Iranian film with a very sweet story line about two siblings always doing things for each other. I also found a little extra time to go swing dancing this week...the only issue was that I didn't really know anyone. I did however get to dance a few times with some new little freshman. I guess if anything it is a great source of exercise!
I got to spend some time alone this week as well. I organized the Vocal Union studio and put together all the costumes for the semester. We have our first performance this week in our weekly devotional. we are singing an arrangement of "I Stand All Amazed" by Sis. Brower. She is so amazing! I wish I had her musical genius! I also got to work practicing with my Women's Barbershop Quartet for the big festival next week. Our little group is called "Treble Makers" and we are singing "Dream a little Dream of Me." I will try to get a recording of it and post it when I can. 
I started my lessons for the semester. I surprisingly have two different teachers. I am trying to prepare for my Senior Recital in March and I want to try to make it a collection of everything I have done while here at school. There will be a little broadway, jazz, sacred, and classical. A good mixture to please everyone...I hope. I am working with Sis. Bossard on all of the Broadway and Jazz music, and then with a student teacher Jen Butler on the classical and sacred things. I have found myself actually wanting to practice. It is really exciting getting to do all the music I love. I hope I can get it all ready and perfected to show everyone what I have tried to accomplish while I have been here at school. Don't worry it won't be just me performing. I will be using a whole bunch of people to create my program. A little variety never hurt anyone!
So after a long road trip Clint finally made it to Texas on Wednesday night. I was so excited to finally really get to talk on the phone seeing as every time we tried on his trip to connection would fail. Too bad his phone broke the next day. We went a few days without talking, and it was kind of weird. Late last night my phone started to ring. It was my unknown number ringtone so I almost didn't answer. I decided to pick up, and it turned out to be Clint calling from his brother's phone. He wanted to call and tell me that he posted his pictures. Oh and to let me know he missed me. I looked at the pictures on line and came to find out that he had written our names in the sand... I didn't know he was such a romantic! I do miss him, but I wish him the best in his job search!
Well that is it for this week. Nest week I will let you know about devotional and my Barbershop Performance.

2 comments:

Seth and Sierra said...

Great things happening to you! Tell everyone hi! I think that's awesome what that little girld did in the temple!
I didn't know Jen was teaching! I bet she's great!
Good luck with everything!
PS: I hope the spiders in the studio didn't come attack you... ;)

Kathryn said...

Loved your entry. I'm glad you use it as your journal so that I can hear all that's going on. You are a good writer by the way. Keep it up. It will be a treasure for you.